hdr_00056_0 - Version 2

Maybe there is something to that «warm-up» thing, after all.

In the past few years I’ve found myself hav­ing trou­ble get­ting back into the flow of run­ning. When I go out it has been more dif­fi­cult than it used to be. Per­haps I’m get­ting old­er, cer­tain­ly I’ve fall­en out of good train­ing habits, but I’ve only rarely found that «zone» I used to enjoy where I set­tle in to a pace and feel I can con­tin­ue indefinitely.

Today’s run was a good deal clos­er to that than it has been in a while, and I cred­it that to not start­ing run­ning straight out the door.

When I put the heartrate mon­i­tor on, I saw that my pulse was faster than it ought to be — it was up around 120 not exact­ly at rest, but not under any real exer­tion either. If I’d walked into an emer­gency room, they’d have called that *tachy­car­dia*. I was oth­er­wise fine, and I’m chalk­ing it all up to a com­bi­na­tion of stress and being gen­er­al­ly out of shape. If I want my rest­ing heartrate low­er, can­cel­ing a planned run is not the way to do it.

How­ev­er, I thought it pru­dent to start out walk­ing rather than run­ning. I did a mile in about fif­teen min­utes — a mod­er­ate­ly brisk pace, but walk­ing. At the mile mark, I start­ed a slow run, and was pleas­ant­ly sur­prised to find it easy to maintain.

That said, I did *not* main­tain the pace. Instead I var­ied it quite a bit. I did a few inter­vals and took a cou­ple of walk breaks, and took a short detour onto the rocks to take pho­tos. About a half mile from home on the way back I stopped at Trad­er Joe’s to pick up a sal­ad and sushi for lunch and called the walk back home my cool-down.

The sky was blue and the air was warm. It was a good day to be out and I’m call­ing it a very suc­cess­ful run. As far as the heartrate goes, well, as med­i­ta­tive as I find run­ning to be, per­haps I ought to start back with the sit­ting med­i­ta­tion as well. Some­thing else worth­while about which I’ve fall­en out of practice.